Sta. Rosa de Lima Parish

Picture1

Sta. Rosa de Lima Parish

Location: Alcoy, 6023 Cebu

Map:

Picture1

TitularSt. Rose of Lima, August 30

Contact number: 63 32 483 9163

HISTORY:

     The parish of Alcoy, dedicated to Sta. Rosa de Lima, was established only on September 15, 1890. Before its formal embellishment as a town named Alcoy in 1867, the place used to be a barrio of Carcar called Mambahi or Mambaje, which was located in what is presently called Daang Lungsod or old town. When the district of Carcar was divided into two with Boljoon as the other district, Mambaje continued to be a barrio and a visita of Carcar. Eventually, however, it became a visita of nearby Boljoon and like Boljoon, it too was briefly administrated by the Jesuits from 1737 to 1742.

                    Alcoy’s first priest was Fr. Fabian Rodriguez in 1890 – 92, while he was still administering Boljoon at the same time. Fr. Bartolome Fernandez who served from 1892 to 1893 built a temporary structure made of bricks. Construction of a more permanent church did not start until October 1896 during the time of Fr. Luciano Fernandez, the second priest. A renovation of the church, mainly the restoration of its roof and the painting of church interiors and exteriors was carried out i 1976 by Fr. Glicerio Diosana.

                  According to the townsfolk, the first church was made of timber, The convent however was and still is made of sturdy coral stones at the lower part and hardwood at the upper part. The present church is made of cement and wrought-iron grills with a facade seemingly mimicking Gothic features with a large clover-shaped window atop the main entrance.

                     The church and convent are shaded bu the overarching branches of a very old acacia tree right across it. A belfry, which stands between the church and its convent, looks somewhat whimsical from a distance because of the layered balustrades. A small narrow road separates the church and convent from the church plaza which is a wide grassy square ringed by tall mahogany trees which were planted during the time of Fr. Oscar Ornopia in the late 1990s. This verdant plaza is host to parish festivities as well as pageants and other public activities.

Source:

BALAANONG BAHANDI BOOK